Organic Farm Knowledge Platform
Gathering all practice-oriented material, the Organic Farm Knowledge platform provides access to a wide range of practical tools and resources about organic farming that can help both organic and conventional farmers to improve their methods and become more innovative. The aim of the platform is promoting the exchange of knowledge among farmers, farm advisers, and scientists, with the aim of increasing the productivity, quality and sustainability of organic farming across Europe.
Over 600 thematic tools ranging from factsheets, practice abstracts and leaflets to videos, websites and calculation tools on organic farming can be found in the Toolbox – the core of the platform. The tools were selected by or created in various projects, including CORE Organic projects, and from several institutions. The toolbox offers the possibility for an arbitrary text search as well as displaying tools by theme, language, organization, project, keyword, type, country of origin and year. By enabling users to comment and interact on social media, Organic Farm Knowledge provides a unique opportunity for cross-border, peer-to-peer learning.
Every month, the five most visited tools are shared in the newsletter. Last month, three out of five of those tools were focused on organic poultry, one about soil fertility and the fifth one about a soil quality rating tool. See the links for the tools down below.
Development and funding
The Organic Farm Knowledge platform was originally set up by the International Centre for Research in Organic Food Systems (ICROFS) in the framework of the OK-Net Arable project. From January 2018 to March 2021, Organic Farm Knowledge was developed further by the project OK-Net EcoFeed. Both projects were coordinated by IFOAM Organics Europe and were funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme.
Benefit and contribute
Now only can you benefit from the various thematic tools and the interaction with other users, you also have access to a comprehensive list of organic advisory services. Furthermore, you can benefit from the Organic Farm Knowledge Newsletter to receive periodic updates via e-mail. The event calendar draws users' attention to events across Europe.
Individuals and institutions can contribute to the platform by suggesting relevant practical tools for organic farmers or advisors or sharing interesting events for our event calendar. Horizon Europe and other projects are also invited to disseminate their materials through the platform. Organic Farm Knowledge will increase the visibility of your project and help achieve a broad outreach of your project results.
- The Organic Farm Knowledge Website: https://organic-farmknowledge.org/
- Subscribe to the Newsletter: https://organic-farmknowledge.org/news-events/newsletter
- List of organic advisory services across Europe: https://organic-farmknowledge.org/news-events/organic-advisory-services
The five most popular tools of the last months:
- The Muencheberg Soil Quality Rating (SQR), 2007 (English): https://organic-farmknowledge.org/tool/30579
- Recommendations for using soy-based feedstuffs for poultry production, OK-Net Ecofeed Practice Abstract, 2020 (English and German): https://organic-farmknowledge.org/tool/37896
- Aerated compost tea (ACT) to improve soil biology and to act as a biofertiliser/biofungicide, OK-Net Arable Practice Abstract, 2017 (English): https://organic-farmknowledge.org/tool/31042
- Silage feeding for laying hens, OK-Net Ecofeed Practice Abstract, 2019 (English): https://organic-farmknowledge.org/tool/35470
- Organic Poultry Production: Providing Adequate Methionine, 2010 (English https://organic-farmknowledge.org/tool/36943