The overall objectives of FACCE SURPLUS will be:
- To improve collaboration and cooperation across the European Research Area in the fields of diverse, but integrated, food and non-food biomass production and transformation systems, including biorefining.
- To link up and create a network of research platforms, enterprises and clusters of enterprises (as associations of family farms, sme's etc.) and facilities/research infrastructures across Europe working on the sustainable intensification of agriculture as well as focusing on innovation for increased, resilient and sustainable biomass production and product transformation processes for added value creation.
- To support innovation and value creation from biomass and biorefineries in synergy with the environmentally sustainable intensification of agricultural and other biomass production taking into account the required economic, environmental and social conditions.
- To fund and organise a joint call between funding bodies from Member States and the European Commission.
Furthermore, FACCE SURPLUS will also aim at:
- Organising further joint calls without EU funding in the scope of the ERA-NET Cofund,
- Supporting the environmental innovation and value creation from biomass and biorefineries in synergy with environmentally sustainable intensification of agricultural production and
- Overcoming fragmentation & duplication, closing gaps on national level and generating maximal synergies for all funders and research providers in Europe in the field.
These objectives will contribute to the strategic objective of FACCE-JPI to build a European Research Area in the domain of agriculture, food security and climate change as well as to the scientific objective of enhancing resilience in agricultural production systems. In turn, this will contribute to tackling the Grand Challenge of ensuring food security and agricultural production in the face of climate change.