SmartSOIL works with 6 case studies representing different bio-geographic and social-economic agricultural areas.
The project has engaged and consulted with stakeholders (farmers, farm advisory and extension services, policy-makers) in the different case studies through interviews and workshops to:
- Identify key management practices affecting soil carbon
- Identify farm and management systems at risk of low soil carbon under current and future climate.
- Identify potential soil carbon management practices and any barriers and constraints to uptake
- Identify requirements and needs for a soil carbon decision support tool and to test its feasibility
- Collect locally specific farm management and socio-economic data on soil carbon management practices to feed into the decision support tool.
- Produce Real Life Case Studies and videos of farmers undertaking soil carbon management practices
- Identify effective ways of disseminating the outputs of the project to the case study regions.